Monday, 3 August 2026

Love, theoretically Review 🩷🎓

Love, theoretically 

Author: Ali Hazelwood 

Time read: 22nd July - 1st August 

Rating: ★★★★


DISCLAIMER: This book review contains SPOILERS!!!!!

Quick blurb:

This serial people-pleaser girl has a second job on a fake-dating website and works as a physicist. She's up for a job interview because she’s unfortunately poor, and one of the people deciding on her application is the brother of one of her fake-dating clients.

Review:

Everybody give this book a round of applause; Ali Hazelwood has successfully brought me out of my 6-month reading slump 😝. Now this is actually my first review on this page, and the details of this book are already fading fast, but you know what? It did the trick. Let me put my thoughts down before the memory of it completely loses my grasp.

I am also learning a lot of new words because I’m reading this on my Kindle; God bless the search feature. Now, can I remember any of these words right now? No. Could I tell you what any of them mean when I see them? Probably not. Isn't one of the main points of reading to actually learn new things instead of immediately discarding the information presented to you? Okay enough questions, mind your beeswax.

The FMC is called Elise, and the MMC is Jack. Elise is a people pleaser who shapeshifts into the ideal version of her each person would like; Jack sees past all that bull and can see her for who she is. I'm really enjoying their banter, but it seems like everybody in this book has banter with each other, so it might just be the author's writing style.

Besides the main characters, I'm obsessed with the banter between Jack and his grandmother Margaret. Margarate is such an icon; she keeps telling Jack to come over because of 'emergencies', but really it's to get him to gossip with her. And she immediately says what everyone is thinking; upon meeting Elsie for the second time, she asks her and Jack how long they've been 'doing it'. I love when a character gets straight to the point.

Also, this hasn't happened yet at the point that I'm at right now, but mark my words: that mentor of Elise’s, Dr Laurendeu or whatever, is purposely not telling other professors about her for job opportunities, so that she can continue being his bitch. She just hasn’t realised this yet because she feels like she owes him for the horrible career she has now. 

Actually, I need to go on a little rant about this guy typing all this is getting me mad all over again. A little context: Dr Laurendeu used to be like the head or the editor or something of this physics journal article, but years ago he published an article written by Jack where he's bashing theoretical physics (Dr Laurendeu and Elise's particular brand of physicist). Now, because of this, Dr Larendeu was disgraced and forced to leave his job because he made such a devastating fuck up that tarnished the reputations of theoretical physicists. Fast forward to the present day, he's going on about Elise (or should I say Elsie because he keeps saying her name wrong 🙄) using her potential new job to torment Jack. But here's my thing: as a professional editor of a journal article, why wouldn't you do your job and read the article??? Better yet, why wouldn't you do a background check on the author? If he did, he would have noticed that Jack was SEVENTEEN at the time, and wouldn't have published it. He's basically holding a grudge on this dude because he felt his career was tarnished by a teenager.

Okay rant over, I really don't like this dude.

One more thing, that whole MIT interview process being done when everybody, including JACK, knew that she wouldn’t get the job was extremely inconsiderate. She was far too calm about that imo, i would've crashed the fuck out on everybody in that little nerd school.

No comments:

Post a Comment